Monday, November 5, 2012
Discovery Ice Skating
Sadie got to participate in her second session of Discovery this year--ice skating. She was so excited to go. I think she was thinking it would be just like when we went ice skating with Brady and Jordan last winter. They skated around the rink holding her hands the entire time. But today wasn't anything like that. Her discovery class was meant to teach her how to skate on her own. She was terrified when she first stepped on to the ice and realized how slippery it was. It didn't help that the first girl to get on the ice burst out in tears and that several of the kids kept falling pretty hard falls. She wanted me to hold her hand and help her, but I wanted her to try what they had taught her and insisted she do it on her own. She was pretty nervous but was willing to give it a try. I think it helped once she finally fell and realized that it wasn't that bad. But she still wasn't enjoying herself and wanted a walker. They only had a few of them and were sharing them around.
Once she got a walker, she skated with it for only a few minutes then offered it to another classmate. But then she started whining and begging for my help again. I realized that she probably wouldn't be acting that way had I not come, so I decided to skate away from her and not give her any attention. Once I did that, she did awesome. She was going much farther and decided that she even wanted to go from one side of the rink to the other. Unfortunately, she only had a couple of minutes and then their time was up, so she never made. But I'm proud of her for trying. And when she tells people about going ice skating, she talks as though it was the funnest thing she's ever done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment